In my last post, Career Advice – Step Back To Step Ahead, I wrote about the advice I had received from a very successful Sr. Executive I know about the value of making a lateral career move.
Well, it appears that Megan Ragsdale, writing over at at the Career Revolution website concurs.
She recently wrote a post entitled, 5 Reasons a Lateral Move is Better than a Promotion.
In her post, Megan wrote:
“It’s human nature. We want to move up in the world, make more money, improve our social standing and even increase our power. In a world that’s so focused on being upwardly mobile, why would anyone waste her time making career moves from side to side?…..One common element among those most successful people is that they understand the difference between pay and promotion and career progression, and that you don’t need the first two things in order to achieve the third.”
Megan goes on to list the following reasons:
1) Lateral career moves can better position you for the future.
2) Parallel career moves demonstrate strong learning agility.
3) Moving laterally improves your visibility with a broader group of leaders.
4) It shows your boss and your leaders that you’re willing to do the work.
5) Lateral moves can keep you better engaged.
Megan’s complete post can be found here.
It is a good read and definitely provides some interesting perspective.